Here, we will explore what all Bootstrap has to offer. We will also get to know about some precompiled and source code flavors. You need to keep in mind that the JS plugins in Bootstrap need jQuery.
Here’s what you can expect after downloading and unzipping the compressed folder from https://www.getbootstrap.com
│ ├── bootstrap.css
│ ├── bootstrap.css.map
│ ├── bootstrap.min.css
│ ├── bootstrap.min.css.map
│ ├── bootstrap-grid.css
│ ├── bootstrap-grid.css.map
│ ├── bootstrap-grid.min.css
│ ├── bootstrap-grid.min.css.map
│ ├── bootstrap-reboot.css
│ ├── bootstrap-reboot.css.map
│ ├── bootstrap-reboot.min.css
│ └── bootstrap-reboot.min.css.map
What you just saw, can be told as Bootstrap’s most basic form. These precompiled files are available for drop-in usage for almost any type of web project.
Similarly, you can also get the precompiled CSS and JS in the bootstrap.* package and the minified and compiled JS and CSS from bootstrap.min.* package.
In addition to that, you can also get the bundled JS files as well as minified with the packages bootstrap.bundle.js and bootstrap.bundle.min.js respectively.
Bootstrap CSS files
There are a few options for including some/all of the compiled CSS files. These can be seen as following:
- CSS: Includes all – layout, content, components
- min.css: minified file includes all like the above one
- bootstrap-grid.css: Includes only grid system in the layout and only the flex utilities. Content and components are not included.
- bootstrap-grid.min.css: Same as above.
- bootstrap-reboot.css: It only includes the reboot contain. None of the layouts, utilities or components are included. Same is the case with the minified CSS file, bootstrap-reboot.css.
Bootstrap JS files
Just like CSS files, some or all compiled JS files can also be included. Here’s the list for the same:
- bundle.js and bootstrap.bundle.min.js: Includes popper but jQuery not included. The minified files are also
samefor the inclusions.
- js and bootstrap.min.js: These neither include Popper, nor the jQuery.
Bootstrap source code
The source code download for Bootstrap includes the following assets and documentations:
Here’s what you can find in the downloaded bootstrap source code
│ ├── css/
│ └── js/
│ └── examples/
The dist/ folder
Apart from that, any other included file is there to provide the support for all the packages, development and license information. These are the available contents of the Bootstrap 4 downloads that will be used for different aspects of the website development using the